Last week we had a wonderful couple of snow days, and I thought it was the perfect time to get photos. I love how snow transforms our landscape...so beautiful!
My first thought was to use the Victory Patterns Lola pattern, but once I played with the fabric I changed my mind. It has a relatively open knit, and is pretty heavy and very stretchy. I'm glad I did! This knit was hard for me to sew, and every seam is a bit wonky. Lola has a lot of seams so with this fabric it probably would have made me cry! I cut the back on the fold, so I only had front, back, sleeves, and cowl to deal with. It was enough!
When I was cutting, I cut the Laurel dress out, except I ignored the neckline. Then I placed the Renfrew pattern over the top at the neckline and I cut that. It took a little easing in at the shoulders, but it worked ok.
It ended up a little shorter than I wanted because of the weight of the fabric. It was too long, and I knew it was weighing itself down. I knew I had to be careful how much I chopped off the bottom, because removing the extra weight would help it spring back up. I knew it but I still underestimated. It's a good length with jeans, but almost too short for me to be comfortable in leggings. I hand sewed the hem and sleeve hems, which is unusual for me!
And, oh, the leggings! The pattern is the Cake Espresso leggings and I love it! I was very intimidated at first with all of the measuring and the dots and the crazy looking pattern, but it was very easy once I just did it. The end product is a pair of leggings custom made to fit perfectly! I need to really pay attention to the stretch factor in the fabric I choose, as this pair would be more comfortable with a bit more stretch, but the pattern itself is amazing.
Fabric- sweater knit from Girl Charlee (not currently on the site), clearance knit from Joann's
Notions- 1" elastic, hem tape to stabilize shoulders
Wearability- high for both!
Repeatability- Low for the tunic, only because I don't need lots of this style. Very high for the leggings!